|Onion Browser by Mike Tigas|
All Versions: N/A
Rank: #185 in iPad Apps (Paid Apps)
Recent Rank Change: -11
Peak Rank: #32
Current version: 1.1.0
Release date: 2012-04-25
Tracked for 393 days
|Onion Browser is a Tor-capable web browser that lets you access the internet privately and anonymously.|
NOTE: glitch w/"New Identity" in landscape mode will be fixed in 1.1.1, submitted for release next week.
A portion of the sales proceeds will be donated to the Tor Project and the Electronic Frontier Foundation. Onion Browser is open-source software. (See onionbrowser.com for more details on donation & source code.)
#1 iPhone Utility app (4/26, 4/27)
#2 iPad Utility app (4/26, 4/27)
Featured in: TechCrunch, Boing Boing, Gizmodo, Lifehacker, Macworld, The Guardian (UK), Cult of Mac, MSNBC GadgetBox, Geek.com
★ “A Mobile Browser For The Truly Paranoid” - TechCrunch
★ ”Attention dissidents, free-thinkers or just people who are plain on the run: now you can take your iPad with you and not get caught.” - Cult of Mac
★ “…if you're going to be your freaky online-self on your phone, at least cover your tracks.” - Gizmodo
• Internet access tunneled over the Tor onion router network:
- Websites do not see your real IP address.
- Your connection is encrypted before it leaves your device, providing protection against snooping by ISPs or people who share a WiFi connection with you.
- Tunnel bypasses restrictive firewalls: you can access the entire Internet from behind ISPs or corporate connections, or when inside countries that practice online censorship.
- Access websites on the "dark net" of anonymous .onion web sites, only accessible in the Tor network.
• User-Agent spoofing: hides the fact that you are using an iPhone/iPad from websites you visit.
• Ability to block third party cookies or all cookies.
• Can change IP address and clear cookies/history/cache in one button.
Please note, web browsing through the anonymization network will be significantly slower than through a non-tunneled browser.
See onionbrowser.com for more information & privacy caveats.
CHINA/IRAN USERS NOTE: Due to online censorship techniques using deep-packet inspection (DPI), this app does NOT currently function in China or Iran.
Onion Browser is not affiliated with nor endorsed by the Tor Project. Onion Browser carries no guarantee from The Tor Project about quality, suitability or anything else.