Cable providers have been at odds with Apple’s mobile platforms, as well as app developers who offer content that may be considered under copyright protection. There is a lot of back-and-forth about what can and can’t be accessed though a subscriber’s paid account. Today, Time Warner Cable (TWC) has added another board to the bridge that brings On Demand content to customers whenever, wherever.
The TWC TV app provides cable subscribers with access to thousands of television shows and movies On Demand. The 4,000 plus titles from 91 different providers lets you watch the shows you want from you iPad or iPhone.
“We are very excited to continue building on the success of TWC TV with the addition of On Demand viewing to the app, with thousands of titles available immediately at no additional cost,” said Michael Angus, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Video, Time Warner Cable. “We were the first to bring live television to our customers on their mobile devices, and bringing On Demand movies and shows to our customers gives them more ways to enjoy the content we deliver.”
Version 3.0 includes the following updates:
1. On demand – Over 4,000 TV shows and movies from 91 providers
- FF / REW / Pause using standard iOS player controls (FF disabled where required).
- Browse by TV Shows, Movies, Kids or network.
- Search – search the On Demand catalog by title.
- Parental control – Channel blocking (network based parental control) is enforced for both TWC TV live and on demand content. To block channels, visit myservices.timewarnercable.com.
2. Live TV guide – now features “recently viewed channels” button to quickly recall previously viewed live TV channels.
3. Numerous performance enhancements and bug fixes have been implemented to improve the overall user experience.
In order to use this app, subscribers must be logged in through the same Wi-Fi connection that is used for live TV playback. In other words, On Demand is still not truly mobile, but it is a step in the right direction. The app is free, but requires a cable subscription to Time Warner Cable.