For today’s Weekly App Series we’ve found great apps to add to your iPad collection. We have included seven essential apps for cyclists and runners in this week’s bundle. Our editorial team goes through the data, picks the best and most interesting apps and then brings them to you on a regular basis.
We used our PadGadget Apps Tracker to find these great apps and we’ll continue to look for the best apps on a weekly basis. Be sure to check them out because these apps might just be what you’re looking for.
This week’s category is: Apps for Cycling and Running
1. Bike Repair HD for iPad ($3.99) — Any avid cyclist will appreciate mobile access to bike repair instructions. Bike Repair HD has got riders covered with explanations of 75 common bike problems (including pain incurred by the rider!) plus 57 different repair guides. Fixing your shifting problem, derailleur noises, brakes rubbing on the wheel, flat tire, broken chain, pedal removal, hydraulic brakes has never been easier. With Bike Repair HD on his/her iPad, a rider will be ready for anything.
2. Cyclepedia ($9.99) — Cyclepedia is British developer Heuristic Media‘s love letter to cycling. The app allows readers to learn about the history of cycling as they peruse image collections of bikes and jerseys, and watch videos of Sir Paul Smith. Cyclepdia’s stunning UI is sure to please riders and design fans alike. If you ever wondered how a derailleur worked, look no further, a swipe of the finger reveals all. When using this app, sit back, enjoy, and let your fingers do the pedaling.
3. Spinning ($4.99) — Whether you’re a dedicated road cyclist or prefer to work out inside, iMPTP Technology’s Spinning app for iPad (as well as iPhone/iPod touch) will track your workouts. Chart basic data such as heart rate, distance, time, calories burned, as well as weight, blood pressure, and sleep scores. Sync data across all your iDevices, so you always have what you need. See also: iMTP technology’s iBike and iRunner. To track heart rate and other metrics with ANT+ ultra-low power sensors requires a DF Connect ANT+ Adapter and sensors sold separately.
4. 10K Runner: 0 to 5K to 10K run training ($3.99) — This universal training app will help a novice runner train for a 10K (or shorter race) in just 14 weeks. Listen to the music of your choice while you exercise, and the audio coach will tell you exactly when to speed up and slow down. 10K Runner gets you in shape with an awesome Walk – Run – Walk routine. You start slow, and the running gradually increases to a full 10K. The app also includes extensive Q&A to help beginners, as well as videos on how to stretch.
5. Runner’s Log ($1.99) — Most runners find it helpful to keep a log of their workouts. Runner’s Log, a universal app from FikesFarm lets the user input data on the route, distance, time, and even the shoe she wore for a particular workout. Runner’s Log also maps out a runner’s regular routes, which eliminates guesswork. Since the app also tracks shoe mileage, it’s easy to know when it’s time for a new pair of sneakers. Runner’s Log makes it easy to record the results of a running session in a matter of seconds.
6. Gaia GPS – Offline Topo Maps and GPS Tracker ($9.99) — Cyclists and runners alike will love using Gaia GPS to create new routes that encourage riders and joggers to explore new areas without the worry of getting lost. Great for travel, these topo maps cover the entire world. Wi-Fi iPad owners should note that you will need an external GPS attachment for the app to be fully functional. Gaia GPS has great maps and map overlays, and allows you to import map data, waypoints, and trails.
7. Netflix (Free) — Nothing makes cardio fly by more quickly than watching your favorite show on Netflix. Anyone who exercises indoors regularly will love turning the iPad into a personal TV with Netflix. The $8 monthly fee is worth it for runners and bikers who can use a little motivation to work out. Many indoor runners or spinning avid fans do like to catch up with their favorite shows while exercising. See also: Hulu Plus and Amazon Instant Video for iPad.
Note: For additional information, check out the PadGadget Apps Tracker. Our tracker provides an easy way to constantly monitor the App Store to find the best iPad apps for you. If you loved these apps, be sure to check out our Weekly Series list of apps for the iPad.