For today’s Weekly App Series we’ve found eight great apps to add to your iPad collection. We have included eight Apps for Movie Lovers in this week’s bundle. Our editorial team goes through the data, picks the best and most interesting apps and then brings them to you on a regular basis.
We used our PadGadget Apps Tracker to find these great apps and we’ll continue to look for the best apps on a weekly basis. Be sure to check them out because these apps might just be what you’re looking for.
This week’s category is: Apps for Movie Lovers
1. IMDb Movies & TV (Free) – There are very few people out there that haven’t checked IMDB at one time or another, taking good advantage of it being the world’s largest collection of movie, TV and celebrity info. IMDB is the perfect app, whether you want to watch the latest trailer for an upcoming movie or you are trying to settle an argument with a friend over whether that actor is the same guy from that other thing you can’t remember the name of. Added bonuses include movie showtimes, up to the minute celebrity news and DVD release information.
2. Cineplex Mobile (Free) – For those of you lucky enough to live in Canada (I get to say that because I am Canadian), the Cineplex app is an absolute must-have mobile connection to the largest theater chain. Do everything from within the app, from looking up showtimes (after browsing for the theaters closest to your current location), purchasing tickets or keeping track of your Scene rewards. If you can’t quite remember what a particular movie is about, take advantage of in-app news and trailers.
3. Fandango Movies – Times & Tickets (Free) – With the help of Fandango, you and your girlfriend have finally agreed on the movie you want to see (by watching clips and trailers and then reading reviews), found the theater and decided on a time –but it doesn’t end there; buy your tickets and pick your seats! Looking forward to a particular flick? This app can also let you know when it hits a theater near you. Want to remember a movie to catch later? This app will let you save a list of ‘movies to see’.
4. iTunes Movie Trailers (Free) – Taking good advantage of the Retina display on the new iPad (though working nicely on all models), this app brings movies to life and whets your appetite. A calendar of release dates for all movies and a considerable library of trailers, clips, behind-the-scenes featurettes, and images make this the perfect movie lovers companion. If you want to view the content on your own “big screen”, push it to your TV with AirPlay and Apple TV.
5. Discovr Movies ($1.99) – There are many apps of this type to help you find new music, but Discovr Movies creates an interactive map of the world of movies so that you can decide what you need to watch next. Using what the developers describe as an “interconnected ecosystem of hundreds of thousands of movies” you can start with a movie you love and surf around to others that posses similar characteristics. It’s possible you won’t love the movie they suggest, but you run an equal risk getting advice from a friend and they don’t have an equally extensive database to draw from!
6. GetGlue (Free) – These days it is all about the social networking and GetGlue has that in spades. Connect with other movie lovers, check in to the movies you are going to watch, see what all of your friends are enjoying and participate in the rating system that lets you recommend the things you love and get suggestions from those you trust. With over 600,000 users already participating, you are bound to get more than a few benefits from using this app.
7. Scene It? Movies 2 HD ($0.99) – Do you love trivia? Are you the kind of person with a fantastic memory for the little details from your favorite movies? Scene It? Movies 2 HD will provide you with a whole lot of entertainment for the investment. Choose from a variety of categories ranging from chick flicks to sequels (some will cost you more via in-app purchases) and decide whether you want to play against others in multiplayer or party modes.
8. RunPee (Free) – I challenge you to find a single person out there who hasn’t had to pee in the middle of a movie… and not wanting to miss a moment of it, you sit uncomfortably wondering just how much you would miss if you ran out quickly to answer the call of nature. This app tells you the best time to make your mad dash so that you miss the least important parts of your movie. Not to be seen as single-purpose, this app can also tell you whether you need to stay put after the credits roll or let you know what happened in the first 5 minutes of the movie if you were stuck in a slow-moving line at the concession.
Note: For additional information, check out the PadGadget Apps Tracker. Our tracker provides an easy way to constantly monitor the App Store to find the best iPad apps for you. If you loved these apps, be sure to check out our Weekly Series list of apps for the iPad.