As geeks everywhere celebrate the birth of Star Wars 35 years ago, we have the opportunity to contemplate the pop culture impact that the series has had. Featuring some of the most memorable characters of all time, I challenge you to find somebody young or old that can’t identify Darth Vader (or Luke Skywalker, or Han Solo, or Yoda, or…).
I’m Jillian, I’m here to rescue you [from boring apps]. I find your lack of faith disturbing.
These ARE the apps (and games, and videos, and books, and music) you are looking for:
- Star Wars Blu-ray: Early Access – I am sure that September 16, 2011 was a special day for many of you –the date that the Star Wars movies were finally made available on Blu-ray. This app gives a backstage pass with bonus materials and extras that you won’t want to have missed!
- Darth Maul Me – On the list of greatest apps of all time (as if that even needs to be said), LucasArts gives your the opportunity to take a walk on the dark side by using your iPad camera to give yourself a Darth Maul makeover.
- Kinect Star Wars – If you are addicted to Kinect Star Wars (and as well you should be), this app gives you a direct connection to the social networking aspect of the game. More of an accessory than a stand alone app, it is very handy for those of us enjoying Kinect Star Wars.
- LEGO® STAR WARS™ BATTLE ORDERS – I don’t think anybody could have predicted the successful marriage of LEGO and Star Wars, but it really shouldn’t be a surprise when you consider those are two of the best things in life.
- Star Wars Arcade: Falcon Gunner – By making your surroundings a part of the game (using your iPad’s camera), this is a killer augmented reality game that puts you inside Star Wars in a really exciting way!
- Star Wars Pit Droids – Brought to you directly from the creative and genius minds at LucasArts, this game will blow your mind as you control droids through nearly 100 challenging levels of game play.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Season 1 – With George Lucas as the executive producer, you knew that the animated Clone Wars series was bound to be fantastic. Great for kids of all ages, this is a must-watch series for any Star Wars fan. Once you are addicted, pick up season 2 and beyond!
- Star Wars (Dramatized) – Narrated by Mark Hamill himself, this series was originally broadcast on National Public Radio in 1981 and boasts the largest listener response in the network’s history. If you enjoy this one, consider also grabbing The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.
- The Star Wars Trilogy (Return of the Jedi / The Empire Strikes Back / Star Wars) – The music of John Williams has become epic, making this album a requirement for the music collection of any self-respecting geek out there. Buy it now you must, for amazing it is!
May the Force be with you. (sorry, that one was cheap, I’ll stop with the quotes… please accept this link to download an incredible Star Wars themed iPad background as my apology)