Autodesk has been very busy lately. Not only did they release the 3D image creation app, 123D Catch a couple of months ago, but they’ve also been hard at work updating their art apps to support Retina display technology. Today, the company unveiled its newest addition to the Sketchbook family, Sketchbook Ink.
Sketchbook Ink is a vector drawing app that allows artists to create fine detail, independent of resolution to produce stunning, high-resolution ink-style artwork. High-quality images can also be printed from the iPad and final artwork can be exported at optimal sizes through email, dropbox or iTunes file sharing.
“We are fortunate to collaborate with many talented artists, so we know how important it is for them to have a variety of tools for not only different tasks in their creative process, but also to express their personal styles. SketchBook Ink provides more choices for artists. And with its ability to produce high-resolution output, it makes a huge leap for content creation on the iPad,” said Chris Cheung, product line manager, Autodesk.
This app is specifically engineered for pen-and-ink drawing. It comes with seven preset ink styles and two types of erasers. There is not yet a full-featured layering capability. However, the app supports importing images from your iPad’s photo library as a background or reference layer.
Features of the app include:
- Introductory Tour Guide to help get you started
- Full Screen work space with support for any device orientation
- Retina Display on 3rd Gen iPad
- Multi-Touch Interface:
- Two finger pan & zoom navigation
- Preset Ink-styles:
- 7 different presets each with different line weight and behaviors
- 2 eraser types
- Color Editor & Color Picker
- Tap-hold customizable Color palette
- Import a background image from the Photo Library as a reference
- Export options
- Save up to 12.6 MP PNG images to Photo Library or e-mail.
- Save up to 101.5 MP PNG images to iTunes File Sharing or Dropbox
- Option to export as transparent PNG
- Store work-in-progress
- Stay Current:
- Link to SketchBook News Blog
Regularly priced at $4.99, Sketchbook Ink is on sale in the App Store for a special introductory price of $1.99 for a limited time.