For today’s Weekly App Series we’ve found eight great apps to add to your iPad collection. We have included eight webmaster and web designer apps in this week’s bundle. Our editorial team goes through the data, picks the best and most interesting apps and then brings them to you on a regular basis.
We used our PadGadget Apps Tracker to find these great apps and we’ll continue to look for the best apps on a weekly basis. Be sure to check them out because these apps might just be what you’re looking for.
This week’s category is: Webmasters and Web Designers
1. FTP On The Go ($6.99) – Any web designer knows the power and value of FTP as well as the need for an easy to use, full-featured FTP client. FTP On The Go lets you browse, upload and download files directly on your iPad; making it very easy to make quick edits to your web site to fix those dreaded typos or to add a picture at any moment. One real bonus of this app is the built-in web browser making it very easy to quickly review your changes and additions for accuracy before you leave the app.
2. Color RGB ($0.99) – Choosing colors for your web site can be one of the most important things you do. It can also be one of the more difficult things to do when you are trying to match existing graphics, select easy to read contrasting colors or decide what best compliments your design. Using Color RGB you can easily browse for just the right shade and grab the hex values for quick use in your code. The best feature of this app is the ability to compare colors side by each without having to exit the app and make changes in your code.
3. iMockups ($6.99) – Those of us web design veterans have a drawer full of napkins and paper odds and ends covered in sketches and ideas that popped up over lunch meetings or in line at a coffee shop. Sometimes you can’t be sure when and where inspiration will strike (or when you will get the phone call with that ‘one last thing’ that needs to be added to the existing design). Using iMockups you can create a wireframe for your web site design project such that you can give yourself a roadmap to follow but also something to show your client when they want to see what you had in mind.
4. CSS Pro Quick Guide ($0.99) – Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) can be one of the most useful and confusing aspects of web design. Powerful enough to drive the entire look and feel of your website while also providing the layout cues needed to ensure elements from your design rest where you intended, CSS is a beast to be wrangled. Even seasoned experts need a good reference for those moments when you can’t quite remember every single attribute or the exact syntax to accomplish what you need. CSS Pro Quick Guide is a fantastic reference for just this purpose.
5. HTML5 Reference Guide (Free) – In addition to a solid CSS reference, a good HTML reference is a necessity. With the HTML5 Reference Guide you have an easy way to search the entire library of tags and attributes such that you can have a terrible memory but still be a great designer. The best feature in this app is the ability to mark specific tags as favorites letting you create your customized list that lets you save time on those tags that you use all the time.
7. Gusto – Code Editor and FTP Client ($9.99) – We all need tools to help us do our jobs well and for web designers and webmasters that means a solid text editor. Gusto is a feature-rich editor with support for projects (including the ability to assign a thumbnail for each), syntax highlighting (especially helpful for hurried edits) and line numbering. These and other features included within the app, combined with a tabbed editor window, make it very efficient to work with.
8. Source Viewer XL ($1.99) – I challenge you to find a web designer that hasn’t been surfing around on the web and found themselves asking “How did they do that?” now and then? Even if you have no intention of copying the work of others it can be a very valuable educational tool to walk through the code of an experienced developer doing something really innovative. That, or knowing you’ve done something before and you want to quickly check and see just how you wrote that code. Source Viewer XL lets you easily review the source of any web page.
Note: For additional information, check out the PadGadget Apps Tracker. Our tracker provides an easy way to constantly monitor the App Store to find the best iPad apps for you.