Even though Apple installs YouTube on all of its iOS devices, it’s always nice to have a choice. Vimeo, the video sharing web site, now offers a native iPad app complete with video editor for free.
Not only will Vimeo now run natively on the iPad, the update includes a few other tweaks. Users can watch one video while browsing through others. Users can integrate songs from Vimeo’s Music Store right on the iOS device. The new app also lets users share clips, comment on and like clips, view subscriptions, and test drive the “Watch Later” album option all without logging in or signing up.
According to Venture Beat, Vimeo lead mobile developer Joseph Schmitt released a statement saying, “We’ve seen mobile traffic triple since we launched our original iPhone app in early 2011. Now, we’ve taken what we learned while creating our previous apps and applied it to the updated iOS to improve overall design and usability. We’re especially pleased with the awesome iPad user interface, which the Vimeo community has eagerly awaited.”
What’s new in Version 2.0?
• New, native iPad UI and an updated, easier to use iPhone UI.
• Vimeo Music Store integration in the video editor.
• Shoot video, create projects, and browse our featured channels without logging in or signing up.
• View your Subscriptions, Likes, and Watch Later album.
• Share, add comments, and view licenses, credits, and likes on other peoples’ videos.
Have you been waiting for Vimeo to go native? Let us know in the comments if you plan to start using Vimeo for iPad, or if you’ll stick with YouTube.