With 2012 well underway and the anticipated launch date of the iPad 3 fast approaching, we thought it might be fun to take a closer look at the rumblings and rantings that make up the library of rumors it has generated.
- Has Samsung burned the bridge between their company and Apple? Will the iPad 3 take advantage of a Samsung-built quad-core A6 processor?
- Older reports think the iPad 3 will run on a dual-core A5 processor with quad-core to be saved for an even later version of the device.
- Will Apple make a fundamental switch to an IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide) flat panel display from their current IPS (in-plane switching) technology? If this rumor proves true we may also see this technology in the equally-highly-anticipated iPhone 5.
- Can we expect improved backlighting with the use of multiple LED chips or a dual LED light-bars instead of the current single LED light-bar seen in the iPad 2? Other suggestions include dual OLED backlights bonded to the LCD which could allow for thinner glass and an overall thinner device.
- An iPad 3 with PowerVR G6200 and G6400 GPU IP cores that are said to deliver 20 times more graphic power than current models? Yes please!
- This one seems a little far fetched, even for a rumor… but I wouldn’t turn down 3D capabilities in the iPad 3!
- Challenges surrounding the delivery of retina displays gives us a hint that the higher resolution display is set to be included on the iPad 3. It may even be that Sharp and LG have this problem solved (which could be bad news for Samsung)! Then again, we’ve heard that Sharp may not be one of the manufacturers tapped by Apple as well.
- The idea that Apple may release a smaller form-factor or “bargain” iPad has gone around and around and around but yet doesn’t seem any more necessary or likely.
- We know the rumors over a January release turned out to be false. Was it because it just wasn’t ready (even though it may have been headed to production as early as last October)?
- The March release rumors are plentiful. I just hope that it truly is an iPad 3 and Apple doesn’t go the way of the iPhone and release an iPad 2S like some have suggested.
- Will Apple throw us off with an unexpected February event to release the iPad 3? The idea of a February release has been tossed around a few times and I have to admit it would be kind of fun to see it launched on the 29th!
- I don’t think Apple is cheesy enough to launch the iPad 3 on Steve Job’s birthday, February 24th, but I may be proven wrong!
- If the March release date proves to be true, will an even-better iPad 4 be ready for consumers by October in time for the holiday season?
- While it isn’t a specific date, many have speculated that the iPad 3 release will coincide the availability of iOS 5.1.
Odds and Sods
- Will the iPAD 3 support LTE (4G) before the iPhone? Bloomberg thought so earlier this month. This one may prove a more reliable rumor than some of the others as it has gone around more than once.
- We aren’t really sure why yet, but it looks like the iPad 3 might have a new dock connection. I’d really prefer if they didn’t redesign it unless they are moving to the MagSafe style connectors, but this rumor may be real.
- Some kind of new mic cable could be helpful for Siri on the iPad?
- Most things you read suggest that the iPad 3 will be the same overall dimensions as the iPad 2. Some suggest thinner, but it may also end up being thicker!
- Most people are pretty content with the battery life on their iPad, but I don’t think any of us would turn down a longer-lasting higher-capacity battery.