For today’s Weekly App Series we’ve found eight great apps to add to your iPad collection. We have included eight Relaxing Games for the Holiday Season in this week’s bundle. Our editorial team goes through the data, picks the best and most interesting apps and then brings them to you on a regular basis.
We used our PadGadget Apps Tracker to find these great apps and we’ll continue to look for the best apps on a weekly basis. Be sure to check them out because these apps might just be what you’re looking for.
This week’s category is: Relaxing Games for the Holiday Season
Holiday Themed (for those who can’t get enough tinsel this time of year):
1. Fireplace ($0.99) – While not actually a ‘game’, what can be more relaxing than curling up by the HD image of a fire while enjoying a lovely glass of (rum optional) eggnog? Employ a little cable-television nostalgia while you tune in to one of the five included fireplaces and prop your iPad proudly on the coffee table while you visit with your friends and family (perhaps you will consider playing a more old-school boardgame as you do).
2. Holiday Bells ($0.99) – Nobody says that the app you find relaxing should also be relaxing for those who happen to be in close proximity. There is no disputing that nothing says ‘Happy Holidays’ like the ringing of bells, so whynot take your turn at making them sing? Enjoy playing holiday songs on the handbells while you have a good-hearted laugh at yourself because it’s much harder to master them than it seems. I recommend using it as a pass-and-play type game to see if those around you can recognize the song you are playing!
3. Holiday Wiz Quiz (Free) – Try your hand at a series of holiday-themed quiz questions designed to be answered by 4-7 year old children… because it is bound to embarrass you (and entertain those around you) when most of them will cause your mind to blank and be unable to produce the correct answer. Want an added challenge? Try to see who can get the best score in the least amount of time! I recommend this one for spending a little quiet quality time on the couch with your kids.
4. Martha Stewart Cocktails ($2.99) – Okay this is a bit of a cheat as well because it isn’t a game, but playing games will be a lot more enjoyable if you have something lovely to drink. Whether you like alcoholic cocktails or want to create non-alcoholic mocktails, this app have something delicious for everybody! Choose the drinks you wish to mix and create an easy-to-follow shopping list to be sure you gather all of the requisite ingredients.
Relax by Escaping the Holiday Themed Content:
5. Michael Jackson The Experience HD ($4.99) – I personally feel that few things are as relaxing as good music. If you love Michael Jackson anywhere near as much as I do, this app will quickly become a favorite. Using a series of gestures and fingertip artistry you get to direct MJ through a series of his signature dance moves. Even though this is a difficult one to master, listening to the songs and being reminding of Jackson’s true genius makes all of the practice time a joy. Tip: Run through the tutorial a few times if you need to get the hang of it!
6. Dream Zoo (Free) – It may be because I cut my teeth on the first generations of the Sim-style games where you get to build cities and amusement park rides, but I found Dream Zoo to be the right blend of mindless, fun and addition. The concept is simple, build yourself a zoo by bringing in animals and caring for them while improving the attraction itself with lovely pathways and profitable snack carts. There is a little strategy too of course, with rare animals bringing in more capital that you can use to build up your zoo into something really spectacular!
7. Flower Garden Free – Grow Flowers and Send Bouquets (Free) – Who doesn’t love to get flowers, even if they are virtual? This app is really very simple. Just as the description says, you can “plant seeds, care for the plants, watch the flowers bloom, and create bouquets to share with friends and family.” Gardening is very relaxing, even if you are just doing it on your iPad. Work at improving your digital-green-thumb to create better bouquets!
8. Bag It! ($0.99) – I think I was inspired to recommend this app because of all the shopping we seem to do during the holiday season. I’ve remarked to myself (quietly) on more than one occasion that I can’t believe how filling a shopping bag can become rocket science one you reach the cash register. Try your hand at filling shopping bags with various items being sure that they not only fit but are balanced and organized in such a way that nothing is damaged. It’s harder than you think!
Note: For additional information, check out the PadGadget Apps Tracker. Our tracker provides an easy way to constantly monitor the App Store to find the best iPad apps for you.