For today’s Weekly App Series we’ve found eight great apps to add to your iPad collection. We have included eight Thanksgiving Cooking apps in this week’s bundle. Our editorial team goes through the data, picks the best and most interesting apps and then brings them to you on a regular basis.
We used our PadGadget Apps Tracker to find these great apps and we’ll continue to look for the best apps on a weekly basis. Be sure to check them out because these apps might just be what you’re looking for.
This week’s category is: Thanksgiving Cooking Apps
1. Thanksgiving Menu Maker (Free) – The hardest part about bringing a large meal together can be the execution of so many different courses and recipes such that they come to the table at the right time. This app is very handy for scheduling your Thanksgiving meal, letting you select your recipes and create a shopping list before the big day and then cook each one to perfection while avoiding common mishaps and pairing each dish with the perfect wine. (Not to mention having a library of suggestions on what to do with all those leftovers!)
2. Allrecipes – Your Kitchen Inspiration ($4.99) – We’ve all been using the allrecipes.com website for ages and now the iPad brings you all the power of the website and more! Search for recipes by occasion and cuisine and narrow it down by cooking method (baked, grilled, roasted, etc.), the time required for preparation as well as the ingredients required. The app itself is actually free, but the real power and beauty is unlocked when you do the in-app upgrade to the pro version which is where the $4.99 comes in.
3. Epicurious Recipes & Shopping List (Free) – Not only can you use this app to access all of the recipes from the epicurious.com website, it will give you access to tasty meals made by famous chefs and those published in respected magazines. Save your favorite recipes in your virtual recipe box and share them with your friends and family once you are sure they are delicious and worth another taste. Many of the recipes in this database even contain nutritional information!
4. Leftovers (Free) – I think I am safe to say that nothing kills the holiday mood like a little case of food poisoning. Because an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, this is a very valuable and helpful app that lets you know just how long you can keep various types of food at room temperature as well as in the refrigerator or freezer and how to safely store them. This app also includes details on how to safely reheat foods to keep foodborne illness away.
5. WineStein Pro (Free) – For those of us who enjoy wine but may not be experts on the subject, this app can perform as your personal digital pocket sommelier. Put your meal together by entering the main ingredients, preparations, sauces, side dishes and WineStein will perform his magic and pair your meal with the most delicious wine. As an added bonus, filter your results by color and price range. A new feature of the updated app will now let you perform inverted matching –select your favorite wine and find out what you should be eating with it!
6. Cocktails HD ($0.99) – With a tremendous collection of cocktail recipes, Cocktails HD is the perfect companion to your Thanksgiving gathering. Each cocktail recipe contains step-by-step instructions on how to prepare it along with a high resolution photograph of the finished product. If you are new to playing the role of bartender, tutorials on the basics and specific techniques are included as well as details on common spirits and liquors as well as a measurement guide.
7. Grocery iQ (Free) – The secret to culinary success is to be prepared. This means having all of your ingredients the first time around. As you decide which recipes to cook, add the requisite ingredients to the list in this app. A lot more than a list-making app, it is also a barcode scanner that you can sort by the aisles in your favorite grocery store. Save product details into the list like how much you need or brands you prefer. And when you need to send your spouse out for those few things you forgot, share the list directly so they don’t come home with canned pumpkin when you were looking for sweet potatoes.
8. Timer+ (Free) – This is one of those apps that is so incredibly simple and obvious that you won’t be able to believe you lived without it. Need to time when to start the carrots so they make it out at the same time as the turkey? Want to remember to warm the rolls just a few minutes before you serve the meal? Timer+ lets you add as many tasks as you like to run simultaneously with custom countdown timers that run even if the app isn’t open.
Whack A Turkey (Free) – Other than the fact that the star of this app is usually the star of your Thankgiving meal, this one really has nothing to do with cooking. What it does do is give you something hilarious and fun to play while you take a break from all of that hard work in the kitchen. A new take on the popular ‘whack-a-mole’, this one lets you beat on a few obnoxious cartoon turkeys. Enjoy!
Note: For additional information, check out the PadGadget Apps Tracker. Our tracker provides an easy way to constantly monitor the App Store to find the best iPad apps for you.