For today’s Weekly App Series we’ve found 7 great apps to add to your iPad collection. We have included 7 video and TV apps in this week’s bundle. Our editorial team goes through the data, picks the best and most interesting apps and then brings them to you on a regular basis.
We used our PadGadget Apps Tracker to find these great apps and we’ll continue to look for the best apps on a weekly basis. Be sure to check them out because these apps might just be what you’re looking for.
This week’s category is: Apps for Watching TV and Video on Your iPad
1. ABC Player (Free) – The ABC Player allows any iPad user to watch full length episodes of popular ABC shows. There are episodes from 32 shows available in all, including Modern Family, Grey’s Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, The Middle, Private Practice, and more. The player even includes new shows like Once Upon a Time, Pan Am, and Revenge, and provides a schedule of all ABC shows. Shows are shown in full screen with limited commercial interruptions.
2. NBC (Free) – Like the ABC Player, NBC’s iPad app allows iPad users to watch full length episodes of the most popular NBC shows, like The Office, Community, Up All Night, and more. The app also allows users to watch full replays of late night talk shows like The Tonight Show and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. Episodes are available in full screen, with 15 second commercials. The app also provides video clips, photo galleries, listing times, and a collection of games.
3. PBS for iPad (Free) – PBS’s iPad app lets iPad owners watch popular and current PBS programs for free, with limited commercial interruptions. There are more than 300 videos, including full-length episodes, segments, and previews of new content. Shows available on the iPad include Antiques Roadshow, Frontline, History Detectives, Masterpiece, Nature, Nova, and more. The app also includes NewsHour segments, local tv times, and in-depth information about current and future PBS shows.
4. TBS for iPad (Free, requires cable) – The TBS for iPad app is slightly more limited, restricting shows to iPad users who have cable with a participating cable company and are current subscribers to the channel. Providers include AT&T UVerse, Optimum, Cox, Comcast, DirecTV, Dish, Suddenlink, and Verizon. If you have cable with one of these companies, you can watch full length shows like The Mentalist, The Closer, Falling Skies, and Southland. See also: TNT for iPad and WatchESPN, which both work in the same way.
5. HBO Go (Free, requires HBO subscription) – If you are an HBO subscriber, then HBO GO is a must download app. It includes full length, on demand episodes of your favorite HBO shows like True Blood, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, and Entourage. It also allows iPad users to access a full library of HBO movies in any location with a Wi-Fi or 3G connection. A series pass will keep you up to date on all of your preferred shows, and a watchlist allows you to bookmark shows and movies for later viewing.
6. Crackle – Movies and TV (Free) – Crackle, brought to you by Sony, allows iPad users to watch a collection of older movies and TV shows. Movies aren’t always up-to-date or current, but if you want to catch some free older flicks, Crackle is a great choice. A few of the movies include Step Brothers, Resident Evil, Flatliners, Ultra Violet, Last Action Hero, and Stranger Than Fiction. If you download it within the next few days, you can view a collection of Halloween horror movies. Each month, 20 new movies and TV shows are added to the app, so the content is constantly changing
7. TWCable – (Free) Time Warner Cable’s app, TWCable, allows Time Warner customers to watch live streaming television from a variety of high definition channels, including AMC, Animal Planet, Cartoon Network, Disney, Food Network, History Channel, Syfy, TLC, and more. This app is only available for Time Warner customers, and only on home Wi-Fi, but it’s like having an extra TV. The app also includes a program schedule and a DVR listing. Several other cable companies have similar offerings for their customers. See also: Xfinity TV for Comcast, Optimum for iPad for Cablevision, Dish Remote Access for iPad for Dish Network, and DirecTV App for iPad for DirectTV.
Note: For additional information, check out the PadGadget Apps Tracker. Our tracker provides an easy way to constantly monitor the App Store to find the best iPad apps for you.