iPad Responsible for 89% of Worldwide Tablet Web Traffic

Just in case you need more proof on how widely used the iPad is, and how it dominates other tablets currently on the market, comScore has released a new report on its new metric for tracking web traffic by device and connection.

As suspected, the data reveals that 89% of worldwide tablet traffic is from the iPad.


“The iPad is currently the dominant tablet device across all geographies, contributing more than 89 percent of tablet traffic across all markets. The iPad’s contribution to total non-computer device traffic is highest in Canada (33.5 percent). Brazil has the second highest non-computer device share of traffic coming from the iPad at 1.8 percent, although non-computer devices account for less than 1 percent of total traffic in the country. In Singapore, where non-computer devices comprise nearly 6 percent of total traffic, the iPad accounts for 26.2 percent of this traffic.”

In the United States, the iPad’s numbers are even higher. comScore estimates that the iPad takes up 97% of  the non-computer tablet traffic, with Android devices making up the remaining 3%. This is tablet only data, and does not include smart phone traffic.

In the U.S., 53% of overall non-computer device traffic (including phones) comes from Apple devices – 23.5% from iPhone, 21.8% from iPad, and 7.8% from the iPod Touch. Android devices comprise 36% of the non-computer device traffic, almost entirely from smartphones. Android still takes the lead in the smartphone category in the United States, but is seriously lagging behind in tablet usage.

We’ve seen new Android tablets in the last few months, but none of them has been able to cut into Apple’s giant slice of the tablet pie. Will the rumored Amazon tablet be the first true iPad competitor? is the HP TouchPad going to come out with a bang? Only time will tell, but for now, Apple’s iPad is untouchable.

email

About Juli: Contact me via Twitter: @julipuli

  • http://www.cnacertificationprograms.org/cna-certification cna certifications

    Samsung, blackberry…. buck up! oh wait, would that help? No, ipad  has  little or no competition when we talk of tablets