In observation of Memorial Day, we’ve compiled a list of apps related to the U.S. Military. Some apps focus on war history. Some are specific to a branch of the military. All are a reminder of the men and women who serve and have served this country throughout the decades.
- Memorial Day ($0.99) This app features information about Memorial Day, including history, trivia facts, and a list of Memorial Day parades happening throughout the country.
- The Civil War Today ($7.99) This app is a daily updated app that brings the history of the Civil War to your iPad, one day at a time over a four year period. Each daily entry includes newspaper clippings from that day in history, personal letters and diary entries, photo of the day, maps, quizzes and much more.
- World War I: A Brief History ($2.99) This app is an educational app that serves as a reference to World War I’s most significant events and figures. Stunning photos are included to help enhance the storytelling.
- War Letters of a Public-School Boy HD ($1.99) This digital book is a collection of letters written by Lieutenant Henry Paul Mainwaring Jones, who was killed in action during World War I. It includes narrative information about his life as well as photograph.
- The Inside Story of the Peace Conference 1919 HD ($1.99) This reference app is a personal account of the events of the Paris Peace Conference at the end of World War I as written by Journalist Emile Joseph Dillon. What it lacks in visual, it makes up for in content.
- War in the Pacific ($4.99) This revolutionary interactive digital book is filled with photos, videos, interviews, and maps about the World War II battles on the islands of Guadalcanal, in the Philippines and on the Pacific Ocean.
- D-Day 1944 ($2.99) This app is a historical account of the events that took place on June 6, 1944, including an animated map showing a step-by-step reenactment of the key phases of the battle.
- USO On Patrol Magazine HD (Free) This digital magazine, published quarterly, iss the official magazine of the United Service Organizations (USO), founded in 1941. They are a private, nonprofit organization whose mission it is to support the U.S. Armed Forces and their families by providing morale, welfare, and services while deployed and at home.
- Military 24/7 (Free) is a military news app that gives up-to-date information directly from deployed service members from each branch of the U.S. Military. You can read top news story of the day from the Army, Coast Guard, Marines, Navy, Air Force and Reserves.
- Marines Magazine (Free) is the official magazine app of the U.S. Marine Corp. In addition to the same content of the free edition, there is iPad optimized interactive content such as additional photos and videos.
- HD U.S. Army ($0.99) is an encyclopedic compilation of information about the United States Army, including facts and photos.
- Battleships of the U.S. Navy ($1.99) This app is a photo essay of U.S. Naval battleships. With over 260 high quality photos, this app allows you to view details and read histories of battleships from the time they were commissioned to the time they were scrapped.
- Fighter Pilot (by Robin Olds et al.) (Unabridged Audiobook): Blackstone Audio Apps: Folium Edition ($9.99) This audiobook app is the autobiographical story of Robin Olds, a American triple ace fighter pilot and general in the U.S. Air Force.
We’d like to thank all the men and women of the Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard for their service!
[Photo: US Department of Defense]