Air Display, developed by Avatron Software, is now available on the App Store. It is a new utility app that will allow you to use your iPad as a second monitor for your Mac. The app will transmit video data from your Mac over to your iPad via Wi-Fi.
Avatron already had a nice iPad app with Air Sharing HD. Now they have released a new and useful app that could change the way you use your iPad and Mac together.
Air Display’s concept can be very useful. You probably run into multi-tasking situations all the time. For example, the need to work on a presentation while checking reference documents or even email. A simple solution for this can be to run Air Display on your iPad, then move the Mail window to your iPad, while you continue to work on your Mac.
There are other options for you in the App Store like iDisplay. However, the current reviews for iDisplay are not that good.
A few Air Display highlights:
- Of course, both your iPad and Mac, need to be on the same Wi-Fi network.
- The app will work both in landscape and portrait mode.
- The app will not only give you a wireless computer screen extender, but also gives you an additional input device for your Mac. In other words, you can use your finger to check incoming email on your Mac, you can use it for painting something on the screen, or as a music control surface.
- Move your iWork and Office palettes windows onto the iPad.
- Use the extra display for development tools like Console and Debugger.
- Multi-task by filling your iPad screen with utility apps such as iChat, iCal, Mail.